The Greer Citizen
The Greer Citizen was established on May 10, 1918.The paper was purchased in 1920 by P.W. Smith, publisher, whose sons, Bill and Charles P., did the mechanical work in the print shop when they were boys.P.W. Smith was a reporter, editor and business manager, and his wife wrote the social news.The Smiths sold the paper in 1936 to Tup Lucas, who published it until June 1, 1942, when he sold it to Edd A. BurchA native of Eastman, Ga., Burch began his career as associate editor of The Bartow Herald in Cartersville, Ga., from 1931 until 1936, and editor of The Dalton Citizen in Dalton, Ga., from 1937 until 1942.Burch bought The Greer Citizen when it had a circulation of 1,400. By 1976, circulation had grown to 8,500, and by the 1990s, circulation was more than 10,000.Burch was editor and publisher for 43 years until his death on Aug. 7, 1985. He was succeeded by his sons, Leland and Walter.Leland joined the newspaper staff as news editor after he graduated from Wofford College in 1961. Walter became advertising manager after graduating from Presbyterian College and serving two years active duty in the U.S. Army. He eventually became the paper’s general manager.On Sept. 30, 2006, Buchheit News Management, a Spartanburg-based company, officially acquired The Greer Citizen. Don Wilder was named publisher, having worked with the Buchheit family since the 1970s at The Union (SC) Daily Times, The Williamson (WV) Daily News, and Hometown News in Spartanburg. In January 2013, Wilder retired and Steve Blackwell took over as publisher. Blackwell, a graduate of Gardner-Webb, started working with the Buchheit family in 1984 at The Union Daily Times and later served as publisher for Hometown News.